Top News

PHOTO: Homes in the Henley township in the Otago region were inundated with water
PHOTO: Homes in the Henley township in the Otago region were inundated with water

Rescue services and troops in New Zealand are working around the clock to help those affected by a severe storm that has sparked flooding and led to the evacuation of hundreds of homes.

A state of emergency has been declared in the South Island cities of Christchurch, Otago, Timaru and Dunedin, the island's second-largest city.

In Christchurch, the Heathcote River burst its banks and flooded southern parts of the South Island city this morning.

VIDEO: Motorists brave a flooded state highway near Dunsandel in New Zealand

The New Zealand Defence Force has deployed at least a dozen trucks and 140 personnel to provide emergency services and help rescue those trapped by rising floodwaters.

Fire and rescue officer Mark Bradford said while flooding was the main issue in Christchurch, some houses were affected by landslides.

"We've had actually had quite a few slips, landslides coming down against houses," he said.

"There's been about three of them so far over the last 12 hours, some houses have been evacuated from there."

He said crews had rescued several people stranded in floodwaters.

Emergency services are now focused on the Taieri River near Dunedin, after predictions it would rise to near-record levels today.

Those evacuated near Christchurch were told not to return home until at least Sunday.
PHOTO: Rain had been expected to gradually ease throughout the day.
PHOTO: Rain had been expected to gradually ease throughout the day.
New Zealand Prime Minister Bill English said his "thoughts are with those affected by the weather events".

"Please follow official advice and take care of each other," the Prime Minister tweeted.

The country's weather bureau said rivers in affected areas remained at very high levels on Saturday morning, after some areas were hit with more than 200 millimetres of rain in 24 hours.
PHOTO: Otago Regional Council says the floodway at Otokia has been performing as planned.
PHOTO: Otago Regional Council says the floodway at Otokia has been performing as planned.
It predicted that rain should gradually ease throughout Saturday, however it said cold temperatures and blizzard-like conditions could affect those at higher levels.

A front is forecast to move up the South Island on Monday, then to weaken as it crosses the North Island overnight Monday, the New Zealand MetService said.
PHOTO: The flooded State Highway 1 south of Christchurch.
PHOTO: The flooded State Highway 1 south of Christchurch.
The weather front is forecast to move to the east of the country by Tuesday.

In good news for the rugby-mad nation, however, a Super Rugby quarter-final between Dunedin and Christchurch on Saturday night was scheduled to go ahead after fears the storm could have disrupted the match. 🔵
Donald Trump during press conference in Poland
Donald Trump during press conference in Poland

Donald Trump and his legal team are exploring ways to hamper the investigation into alleged collusion with Russia and, in a worst-case scenario, nullify the repercussions, according to reports.

The US President's lawyers are developing a case against special counsel Robert Mueller and his team, compiling alleged conflicts of interest, three people with knowledge of the matter told AP.

And The Washington Post reported Mr Trump had queried his advisers about "his power to pardon aides, family members and even himself in connection with the probe".

Robert Mueller: 'A perfect choice'

Former FBI director Robert Mueller is the perfect choice to lead an investigation into alleged Russian interference in the 2016 US election, biographer Garrett Graff says.
Mr Mueller and congressional committees are investigating whether the President's campaign coordinated with Russia during the 2016 election.

Revelations about the Trump team's bid to counter the investigation come as the probe increasingly ensnares the President's family and close advisers, including son Donald Trump Jr and son-in-law and White House senior adviser Jared Kushner.

Mr Trump decried the probes as a partisan "witch hunt" and publicly challenged Mr Mueller, declaring this week the former FBI director would be crossing a line if he investigated his personal business ties.

In an interview with the Post this week, Jay Sekulow, a member of the President's external legal team, pointed to Bloomberg News reports that Mr Mueller was scouring some of Mr Trump's business dealings, including the real estate mogul's sale of a $95 million mansion to a Russian oligarch in 2008.

Mr Sekulow told the Post the President and his lawyers were determined to ensure Mr Mueller did not stray outside his investigation's remit, and they would complain to Mr Mueller if needed.

"The fact is that the President is concerned about conflicts that exist within the special counsel's office and any changes in the scope of the investigation," The Post quoted him as saying.
"The scope is going to have to stay within his mandate. If there's drifting, we're going to object."
And Mr Sekulow told AP the lawyers would "consistently evaluate the issue of conflicts [in Mr Mueller's team] and raise them in the appropriate venue."

Two people with knowledge of that process said those efforts included probing the political affiliations of Mr Mueller's investigators and their past work history.

An adviser to the President who spoke to the Washington Post played down the claim Mr Trump was looking to pardon himself of any crimes, telling the Post Mr Trump had simply expressed curiosity about the reach of his pardoning powers and the Russia investigation.

"This is not in the context of, 'I can't wait to pardon myself'," the Post quoted the adviser as saying.



THE guitar proved to be a vital part of the 37-year-old’s operation, even as surgeons drilled into his skull to work on his brain.

AN INDIAN man has been filmed casually strumming his guitar as surgeons operated on his brain during a seven-hour surgery.

Abhishek Prasad, 37, was being treated for a neurological condition that caused his fingers to cramp, rendering his hands useless.
According to Asian News International , shortly after the man left his job to pursue his musical passions full time, he began to get severe pain in his fingers.
He had been practising up to four hours a day, and it took doctors some time to determine the issue was not with his hands themselves, but with his nerves.

#WATCH: Bengaluru man plays guitar as doctors operate on his brain at a city hospital.

“I thought maybe it is because of fatigue, I am playing too much, this is happening. So I took a break for some time, 15 or 20 days, but it did not help,” Mr Prasad said.

He spent ten months looking for answers, visiting a range of orthopaedic and hand surgeons, but no-one was able to help with his condition.

Finally, in August last year, a neurologist gave him the answers he needed, diagnosing him with a condition called focal dystonia.

“I became very happy that at least now I know what is the problem,” he said, however, he said his “heart broke” when he was told it was incurable.
Eventually another doctor, who trained in Japan, got in touch and said he could fix it with a relatively minor brain surgery — the first of its kind attempted in India.

During the procedure, surgeons drilled into Mr Prasad’s skull and attached an electrode to his brain to determine exactly what they needed to fix.

They then created a small burn, to fuse several parts together.

The guitar proved vital to the operation.
Mr Prasad said the first thing he did post-surgery was pick up his guitar again.
Mr Prasad said the first thing he did post-surgery was pick up his guitar again. Picture: ANISource:Supplied
“The doctor had told be before only that you need to get a guitar in (the) operation theatre, (he said) I need a continuous feedback from you,” Mr Prasad said.

“Because as and when he is making the burns inside my brain, that shows some difference in my fingers, so that was a part of the procedure.”

He’s thrilled to be able to play his beloved instrument again.

“Once I got through the surgery, I played my guitar for half an hour.”

______S
The Bermuda Triangle
IT’S a notorious part of the world where scores of ships and planes have vanished without a trace in mysterious circumstances. Is this the reason why?

IT’S a notorious part of the world where scores of ships and planes have vanished without a trace in mysterious circumstances.

The Bermuda Triangle, which stretches over 700,000km of sea from Florida to Puerto Rico and the island of Bermuda in the North Atlantic Ocean, is a puzzle that has long stumped scientists and unsettled sailors.

The Bermuda Triangle, also known as the “Devil’s Triangle”, is said to have claimed at least 1000 human lives, 20 planes and 50 ships in the past 100 years.
The Bermuda Triangle is said to have claimed more than 1000 lives over the past 100 years.
The Bermuda Triangle is said to have claimed more than 1000 lives over the past 100 years.
On average, five planes continue to go missing in the area each year.

But Australian Scientist Dr Karl Kruszelnicki told news.com.au there is no mystery to solve because the incidents were likely caused by human error.

“According to Lloyds of London and the US coast guard, the number of planes that go missing in the Bermuda Triangle is the same as anywhere in the world on a percentage basis,” Dr Kruszelnicki said.
“It is close to the equator, near a wealthy part of the world, America, therefore you have a lot of traffic.”

The Bermuda Triangle is one of the most heavily travelled shipping lanes in the world, with vessels crossing through to get to ports in America, Europe and the Caribbean.

The mystery surrounding the area grew in the 20th century with a large number of planes and ships going missing over the decades.

In 1918, the USS Cyclops — a large carrier ship that supplied fuel to the American fleet in WWI — was full of heavy cargo when it set sail with 309 people on board.

After it failed to arrive in Baltimore from Barbados, search teams retraced its route but it was never found. Two of the Cyclops’ sister ships disappeared along the same route in 1941.

The legend of the Bermuda Triangle deepened after Flight 19 — which consisted of five TBM Avenger Torpedo Bombers — took off from a US Naval Air Station in Florida on a routine training mission and disappeared, on December 5, 1945. Fourteen crew members were on-board but a total of 27 men vanished that night. A Martin Mariner seaplane with 13 men on-board was deployed to find the missing aircraft but things took a dramatic turn when it also disappeared. To this day, no bodies or wreckage have been found, despite a massive land and sea search.

But Dr Kruszelnicki — who is also the author of The Doctor which is based on his “quest to unearth scientific truths” — said there was a simple explanation.

“They vanish without a trace then another plane sent out to look with them vanishes ... (so some people claimed) it must have been aliens’,” he said.
Torpedo Bomber #28, the lead plane of Flight 19, which vanished Dec. 5, 1945.
Torpedo Bomber #28, the lead plane of Flight 19, which vanished Dec. 5, 1945.
The USS Cyclops ship, the first reported ship carrying a radio lost in the Bermuda Triangle in 1918.
The USS Cyclops ship, the first reported ship carrying a radio lost in the Bermuda Triangle in 1918.
“(But) there was one experienced guy, the rest were inexperienced.
“It wasn’t fine weather, there were 15m waves.”
Dr Kruszelnicki said Flight 19’s leader Lieutenant Charles Taylor was told to go west but instead chose to continue flying east.

“If you read the radio transcripts some of the junior pilots are saying, ‘Why don’t we fly to the west?’, and the pilot says, ‘Why don’t we fly to the east?’” he said, suggesting Lt. Taylor was responsible for the flight’s fate.

“(Lt. Taylor) arrived with a hangover, flew off without a watch, and had a history of getting lost and ditching his plane twice before.

“The plane that went to rescue then went missing was seen to blow up.
“It didn't vanish without a trace.”
The Bermuda Triangle
The Bermuda Triangle
In May this year, a plane carrying four people, including a mother and her two children, went missing in the infamous Bermuda Triangle.

Pilot Nathan Ulrich vanished while flying a plane in the Bermuda Triangle earlier this year.
Pilot Nathan Ulrich vanished while flying a
plane in the Bermuda Triangle earlier this year.
Jennifer Blumin, her two sons aged 3 and 4 and her pilot boyfriend Nathan Ulrich, had just spent Mother’s Day in Puerto Rico and were flying to Florida when their twin-prop MU-2B aeroplane vanished off the radar about 59km east off the island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas.

Communication was lost at 24,000 feet and a speed of about 555km/h, officials said.

The search was eventually called off and no bodies were found.

CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The mystery of the Bermuda Triangle has captured the imagination of millions and baffled researchers.

There are many other theories about what has caused so many sea and air crafts to disappear, from gas bubbles and clouds to the less scientifically plausible theories of alternate dimensions and alien abductions.

It has previously been suggested that methane bubbles from the sea floor could be what’s causing ships to sink in the Bermuda Triangle. The theory was later debunked.

Dr Kruszelnicki said the bubbles weren’t a myth but they wouldn’t have brought down the missing ships and planes.
Jennifer Blumin is missing in the Bermuda Triangle with her two children.
Jennifer Blumin is missing in the Bermuda Triangle with her two children.

Last year, a group of meteorologists claimed that hexagonal clouds and “air bombs” were to blame for the series of disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle.

The theory suggested clouds over the Bermuda Triangle were linked to powerful “air bombs” that could be behind the area’s curious disappearances.

Meteorologists using radar satellite imagery discovered weird, “hexagonal” shaped clouds between 32km and 80km wide forming over the area unofficially designated as the Bermuda Triangle.

Meteorologist Dr Randy Cerveny said “these types of hexagonal shapes in the ocean are in essence air bombs” and were so powerful they could reach 273km/h — a hurricane-like force easily capable of sinking ships and downing planes.

But the theory was later ruled out as the cause of vessels and aircraft disappearing in the Bermuda Triangle.

Some of the most notable explanations for the disappearances include extreme weather and electronic fog — a meteorological phenomenon which sticks to an aircraft or a ship and causes equipment to malfunction.

Many conspiracy theorists claim the cause is related to something far more sinister.
Some say the US Navy’s Atlantic Undersea Test and Evaluation Center (AUTEC), a hub in the Triangle used to test submarines, weapons, sonar, secret projects and reverse-engineered alien technology, is behind the disappearances.
Another widely believed theory is that the Triangle contains souls of African slaves who were thrown overboard by sea captains on their journey to the States. In his book Healing the Haunted, Dr Kenneth McAll claimed that a haunting sound could be heard while sailing in the notorious waters.
Others have claimed there are mysterious forces at play in the dreaded region but their sentiments have been rubbished by authorities.
The Bermuda Triangle is located between the coast of Florida and Puerto Rico.
The Bermuda Triangle is located between the coast of Florida and Puerto Rico.
Dr Kruszelnicki said many of the conspiracy theories stemmed from author Charles Berlitz, who wrote a best-selling book in 1974 called The Bermuda Triangle.

“He couldn’t lie straight in bed,” Dr Kruszelnicki said.

Many scientists, like Dr Kruszelnicki, have argued that the Bermuda Triangle is no more or less dangerous than any other patch of open sea or airspace in the world.